Financial Model Build
We have years of proven experience building tailored, user-friendly Excel financial models.
You’ll benefit from our understanding of how businesses work, what is required to succeed, what founders, investors, and management need from decision-making tools and the best way to present them.
Our models are built according to industry recognised best-practice principles:
- Consistency of calculation blocks, sheets, and overall structure allow for ease of navigation and review.
- Separation of inputs, calculations, and outputs mitigate risk and save time during updates.
- The integrity of data and calculations are maximised with detailed, robust error check networks and eliminate the need for quick fixes.
- Linearity of data flows ensures that the overall model is easy to follow.
- The simplicity of individual calculations helps reduce time spent understanding and updating the model.
- The flexibility of structure keeps the model agile throughout business change.
Model build features:
- Separate inputs, calculations, and outputs
- P&L, Balance Sheet, and Cash Flow statements
- Operating manual
Model build benefits:
- Reduce errors, key-person risk, cost of model assurance activities, and make better decisions by building according to industry-wide frameworks.
- Obtain finished products without the additional burden on an existing team.
- Access a fresh, experienced approach to the challenge.
- Avoid the cost of upskilling your team for a new financial model (one-off project).
- Streamline work by removing manual manipulation and the associated risks – placing tacit knowledge into a model.
- Reduce reputational and financial risk by using best-practice standards.
- Automate tasks to meet deadlines (reducing stress).
Client success story
The client required a financial model to support fundraising efforts.
We designed and built a business planning financial model in Microsoft Excel that included a five-year forecast.
The client was able to present financial data in an acceptable format for investors to assess. The model is now used as an operating model and the client returns regularly to us to develop the model in line with business expansion.
"When PPS began working with us, it was following on from the failed attempts of several other organisations. As soon as George came on board it was clear he understood our complex business structure and immediately assisted us with required modelling of a major transaction, as well as creating a modelling centre of excellence to help guide our team in the future.
Further to that, he redesigned our modelling suite, simplifying models without losing functionality, pruning unnecessary modules in a structured way so that the models were all fully operational throughout the transformation. His incredible and vast technical knowledge is matched with a very measured, pragmatic, can-do and professional approach which made him a value adding and exceptional partner for me and the Team."Cristina ArangoHead of Financial Planning and StrategyArqiva
"George joined us as a visiting lecturer for the 2020-21 academic year to teach our final year students financial appraisal modelling. George is a highly experienced educator and industry professional in this area and was able to successfully adapt his teaching to undergraduate students.
He is very supportive, engaging and is able to explain concepts in different ways to help all the students understand. This was in spite of the forced online nature of our delivery due to Covid restrictions. His materials, assessment and examples are well structured and industry-led and the students and colleagues have enjoyed his classes and we very much look forward to working with George again."Mig Farinas-AlmeidaPrincipal Lecturer, Financial Information Analysis and ManagementUniversity of Greenwich
"PPS helped us when organising the EFPP Belgrade conference.
They brought a wealth of financial knowhow to the table and were key in helping us maintain liquidity throughout the long build-up to the conference.
They created detailed forecasts, kept track of costs, and built an integrated model to take payment information directly from source, allowing us to focus on the operational activities.
When the preparation for our next conference began, we did not hesitate in reaching out to PPS again."Dr. Tija DespotovicGASB
"We were lucky enough to have George in to work on some business specific modelling projects, and it was very evident he has exceptional modelling skills and the ability to really take Excel to another level.
Even given high levels of complexity that he was able to work with, it was always accompanied by clear and simple articulation of his modelling approach and workings. His attention to detail shone through, and combined with a very evident focus on model planning, structure and audit functionality (all of which I think are all too often overlooked), we achieved a great outcome and I learnt a lot about best practice in just a short time.
George is a great collaborator, friendly, approachable and was a pleasure to work with!"Christopher WoodleyBusiness ManagerAberdeen Standard Investments
"I was very impressed with George's ability to solve problems. He always had a smile was eager to help.
We worked together on an infrastructure bid, George was my “go-to” excel modelling expert. I highly recommend George for any financial modelling challenges."Kirsten Van Zyl ACMA CGMAAssociate ConsultantSNC-Lavalin Atkins
"George and I worked together as joint advisors for National Grid on a complicated regulatory finance project while at different consulting firms.
George was seconded as a modeller and developed a revised version of the regulator's financial model in order to test the gaps and limitations. I was part of the team that peer reviewed and stress tested his work.
I found George's modelling and finance skills to be first rate and he was a great collaborator taking on board our observations in the spirit of delivering excellence to the client. In the process, I learnt a lot about best practice modelling. More importantly, the common client was thoroughly impressed with George's efforts too."Sahil AgarwalPower, Utilities and Infrastructure, Infrastructure Advisory GroupKPMG UK
"I had the pleasure of working with George on the West Coast Partnership bid team back in 2018.
George identified what needed to be achieved and then built the various constituent elements of the excel model to allow us to achieve a fantastic end result that exceeded my expectations and that was suitable for submission to the Department For Transport.
The depth of understanding and ability to translate this into a sophisticated functioning excel model is a rare commodity, George is one of the best in his field."Nathan JacobsFinance Business PartnerAvanti West Coast
"It's rare for people to have access to a modelling expert like George.
I attended one of his project finance courses after being assigned to a new role at work, in an area I had limited background in. After two days of intensive financial modelling training, I felt fully confident to take on my new responsibilities.
I was particularly impressed with how he distilled complex problems into small steps, using examples from my industry throughout. His patience coupled with his dry sense of humour made a challenging topic enjoyable to tackle. George is and will remain my point of contact for all Excel Financial Modelling questions."Vanja MandrapaAssistant Internal AuditorLilly Drogerie
"The early stages of a career in financial modelling can be a little overwhelming, and I was so lucky to have access to the knowledge and experience of George.
The support and training I received from him were invaluable as it meant I was able to not just reinforce the skills I already had, but also learn new ones that meant I could take my models to the next level, helping me get ahead of the pack."Antonis PapademetriouAssistant Manager, Forensic & Integrity ServicesEY
- Inflation is very important in financial modelling. It’s an area that creeps into many models, whether they are integrated financial statements, or component/sub models. It’s...
- The NPV or Net Present Value of cashflows is a key metric in investment appraisal. It lets us look at the cashflows of a given...
- Building a financial model can be a long and complex process. In a world where accuracy is key, ensuring that your model is fit for...